Monday, May 23, 2011

Welcome :D

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the definition of a nerd is a socially inept person, extremely devoted to academic pursuits. Being just socially inept doesn’t qualify one for the “nerd status,” however being devoted to education, might. More recently, this labeled group of individuals have transformed from an undesirable outcast, to an individual who has a talent and a passion for learning. “Nerds” are able to comprehend diverse concepts, but more importantly they apply these lessons to further education.


And nothing can show applied learning better than the General Learner Outcomes, of course! (how was that for a smooth segue?) So here is my proof that I’m an applied learning nerd.


This year in MeneMac was interesting. We were robbed of that extra media period that we so loved in freshman year, leaving us to be more independent learners (GLO #1!). Also, this has been the second year I have successfully survived balancing marching band and the MeneMac classes in my schedule. This is my last year in the MeneMac core, as I am going to be a Junior next year (eep!). I’ll miss the familiarity of the teachers and classmates, but I can’t say I’m not anxious to tackle challenging classes like AP Language and Honors Chemistry.

I’ve been very fortunate to participate in many media competitions this school year. Many of which our school has done well in. If there’s anything that has been reinforced from being in these competitions, it is this: teamwork is key. It’s a circle of interdependence, but its also important to know the groups that work well, and the ones that don’t. Trust me, I’ve been in both kinds of groups. However, I have no regrets about my groups because it shows me what kind of people I work best with, and what kinds of awesome things we have the potential to create.


My goals for Junior year include the following:

  • Do my honest best in AP Lang
  • Time management improvement!
  • Survive yet another chaotic year of school, marching band, and media
  • Don’t focus on the 4.0 GPA, focus on understanding the concepts

From my experiences this year, I want to pursue media, especially video production, but integrating it with science or business. Towards the end of 3rd quarter and the beginning of the 4th, my email inbox started to pile up with emails from various colleges. Sophomore year isn’t a bad time to start looking at schools that have what you’re interested in, even if it’s only a liberal arts campus. By combining my passion of video production and science, I have been more interested in Oregon Institute of Technology and University of Portland. It’s been my dream to go to the mainland for college. These two schools have numerous programs pertaining o my interests, and are both on the west coast.


So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen...

My 2010-2011 (SY) GLO Portfolio

(index on the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment