The definition of a 'self-directed learner' is pretty much self explanatory. However, if you’re a little stumped by it, don’t worry… here’s a quick review. Although if you are a student (or teacher) in the public school system, and you have to read this review, shame on you! (haha) You, especially should pay attention if you hadn’t known already because it is (along with all the other GLOs) important life standards that will help anyone to succeed.
It begins with something as simple as consistently doing homework. One of my teachers once told me “You haven't really learned the skill, until you can do it on your own,” which is true. If it takes someone to always tell you what to do, it shows a bigger dependence on them to guide. Being a self-directed learner carries on throughout life, as it is truly up to you to take initiative for anything that you do.
Project Icarus: We were given over a month to find a topic we wanted to learn more about and to act on it. Truth of the matter was, I was so used to just being handed an a assignment that I was a bit lost when I was told I can do pretty much anything for this project. I decided to do a research and documentary project on the Asian-Pacific Children’s Convention in Fukuoka Japan. My stretch for this project was that I was able to learn the real impact it made on students from 18, all the way down to 11. Also, I will be able to show this documentary to the APCC director of Hawaii, and hopefully be able to promote it afterwards.
Project Icarus: Asian-Pacific Children's Convention from Korie Lum on Vimeo.

No comments:
Post a Comment